Entries in Mextures (3)
You may recall, a few months ago I posted about a free set of textured effects from photographer Merek Davis, that you could use in conjunction with photo editing apps like PhotoForge2, to add layered textured effects to your iPhone photos. Well, today, Merek released Mextures, a native iPhone app that makes the process of adding these and other textures to your iPhone photos a whole lot easier.
Designed from the ground up, Mextures offers…
- 70+ Original Textures: These high resolution textures have been made specifically for photographers by photographers. Tons of light leaks, gritty and grainy film textures, dusty vintage film scans, tasteful grunge, and gorgeous gradients. These textures are created from actual 35mm film scans from various cameras, and a multitude of other natural elements. With 12 different blending modes, every new layer adds millions of possibilities to enhance your images and make them uniquely yours.
- Infinite Layers: Stack a virtually unlimited number of layers for beautiful blending effects. Move, hide, rotate, and adjust opacity of your texture layers and see the results in realtime with our one-of-a-kind workflow.
- Formulas: Once you've created a custom edit you love, you can save it for future use with Formulas. Save as many formulas as you'd like and evolve a style that's uniquely yours. We're also excited to showcase 9 iPhoneographers who have created over 40 custom formulas to help you dive right in.
..is described as being…
- Lightning Fast: This app is fast. Get in, add a texture, and export in under 15 seconds. Faster than any other method of adding textures or light leaks.
..and offers an…
- Inspiration Feed: Get inspiration right in the app with a curated Tumblr feed of some of the best images using Mextures.
..as well as…
- No More Pesky Undo Button: With a revolutionary new process, you can change any edit at any time. Change the texture, blend mode, or rotation of a layer even if you added it 30 steps ago.
I was fortunate to get my hands on a a copy of this app 24hrs before its release, so what do I think of it? Mextures is a nicely done app, with a slick interface, and lots of useable textured effects that should offer something for everyone. I particularly like the 'Guest Formulas', which is an ideal starting place for anyone who finds themselves outside of their comfort zone with these types of apps, whilst the 'Texture Packs' should keep those more proficient, happy. The app does save at full-res, and will even save at a higher resolution than the current iPhone captures at, making it an ideal app to use on an iPad with none iPhone photos. The only negative comment I have about this app, is, it currently only supports square format saves, but I have been assured by Merek that native resolution support will be coming in a future update.
App Store Link: Mextures; Intro Price: £0.69/$0.99/€0.79